UTEP research faculty members are the life line of undergraduate research. Your role as research advisor/mentor is vital to the success of the undergraduate research experience. When you accept an undergraduate student into your research program:
- • You will be providing that student with ideas, guidance, feedback, encouragement, and resources.
- • You will create the environment for immersion into the culture of the discipline.
- • Your network of colleagues and collaborators will become the spring-board for your student’s first
steps into the profession.
- • You will become the principal role model. Your behavior, values and ethical conduct will be
observed, absorbed and in most cases imitated by your students.
- • You will become an intellectual parent, and if this master-apprentice relationship truly flourishes, you
also become an intellectual partner.